Skip to main content

Soup and Glow Golf Season

Ham shanks were on sale at the butcher today and, since it is soup season in the Baker household, split pea soup was a natural choice. I might add that soup season made a lot more sense in Boulder, where I may be wandering in from snow shoveling or pickaxing an ice shelf. Here in Chico my only reason to keep the tradition is sheer exhaustion from fancy holiday cooking and baking. 

So the soup was a new recipe from the winner of Pacifica's Fog Festival Pea Soup contest. Usually I do the boring puréed soup so this was a real departure. The big takeaways were: use carrots to sweeten the stock then remove them, add some fresh peas right at the end and make a kick ass crostini to go with it. The full recipe is here: http://blog.webicurean.com/2012/09/30/award-winning-split-pea-soup-with-gouda-crostini/

In other news, the soup took so long to make that Axel and I did not get in our afternoon disc golf round. Jon made up for it by taking me glow golfing under the full moon tonight. In the first round we were tied going into the last hole (Jon won). Round two was a total blow out. 

The glow disc golfer in his native habitat. 

Chopped ingredients ready to become soup.

A bay leaf (I hope) foraged from Lava Creek Disc Golf Course was included in the soup. Other forage at this course includes blackberries, grapes, and peaches.


Axel unloaded the dishwasher for me while I cooked. What a sweetie.

Comments