Skip to main content

Substitutions were made


Easter in Mexico is not all about sugar and brightly colored eggs.  I think it is more about church and family gatherings but since I am neither religious nor Mexican I would have to defer to the experts.

What I know for sure is finding coloring for Easter eggs was difficult. Acres of groceries and no food coloring!  In retrospect I could have done all sorts of clever things (turmeric, hibiscus) but instead, at the frazzled end of a long grocery trip to a foreign store, I mistakenly decided Jello packets could work.

In addition to coloring substitutions, there was the basket to consider...

I made Axel an Easter basket out of a salad spinner and braided grocery bags.  Janine from his school had given him the pink flower which we affixed to the basket with a safety pin.


Sprinkling vinegar soaked eggs with powdered Jello makes the ugliest easter eggs.


But the resulting deviled eggs were still tasty.  Thankfully none of the sabor de fruta had leeched through the shells.


Axel opening the toys and candy from his basket.


I found chocolate bunnies (Conejos) but the fact that the store had them at Easter was coincidental.  As a matter of fact they had some valentine packaging on them.


Axel before I told him to go comb his hair.


He put on a hat instead.



When you have a wall and you are hiding eggs, you must hide one on top of the wall.  Those are the rules.

Comments

robbin said…
Clever beyond words.
Unknown said…
los conejos es bonito