Skip to main content
We'll I wasn't lying when I mentioned a busy June in my last post. All the travel wrapped up this weekend with a trip to Estes Park Center (a YMCA camp near Rocky Mountain National Park). Where to start... Texas was interesting as usual. My coworkers there are some of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.

Durango on Memorial Day weekend saw Jon’s return to form as an agitator in the downtown criterium, garnering 3rd place and a mention in VeloNews. We stayed at the Iron Horse Inn (which has cool, bi-level, suites for a good price) and also checked out some hot springs, visited historic Silverton, and hit up a parking lot carnival. The entrance to every single carnival ride had a sign with a no pregnant ladies symbol. Jon helped to sneak me on the Ferris Wheel by letting me wear his jacket. Our perpetual hero then took Leah on the Ring of Fire (see pic). Jon was, of course, sick when it was all over.

I spent the first part of June taking naps and loading up on iron-rich foods after my doctor told me I was anemic. My red blood cell count is down 7% since becoming pregnant which is not so good for my energy levels. All in all, though, I really feel pretty good for being so far into the 3rd trimester.

Mid to late June was spent in California where we watched Jon take 15th in the Nevada City Classic (pre-race over-caffeination may have affected the outcome) and do well in the Mighty Tour de Nez. We also visited SF, staying at the Miyako Radisson in Japantown. I love that hotel: low price, comfy beds, easy parking, cool rice paper screens, lovely city-view balconies, and an in-room Japanese-style soaking tub that’s as deep as a hot tub. Not to mention proximity to world-class sushi and great shopping on Fillmore in Pacific Heights (just don’t cross Geary unless you want to shop for crack and knock-off Sean Johns). On Fillmore I hit up a spa called “International Orange” (named after the paint they use on the Golden Gate Bridge) for a facial which was awesome but a tad heavy on the product sales pitch. In the same neighborhood, Jon and I ate out with his old SF roomie Jason and newly fiancéed Kelly (Jason proposed in Paris!) at a place called Elite Café which had some pretty tasty Creole morsels. In edgier parts of town we met up with Jon’s old chess buddies, starting at La Boheme (a café at 24th and Mission) and ending up at Toronado in the Lower Haight until 1am. Pretty late night for an anemic pregnant lady.

The last day in California was spent at my baby shower in Stockton, which my mom hosted at my Aunt Muffie’s house. I ate very little lunch and a double-sized piece of cake topped with a life-size baby shoe made of blue frosting. Strangely my cake cravings have since ended, hmm, I wonder why? There were lot’s of guests from Jon’s side of the family and mine, as well as my friend Patty from WAY back and mom’s friend Sandy from even WAY-er back. Sandy, by the way, gave us a never-ending box of super-cute baby presents that took about 15 minutes to open!

Back to work last week, ugh, but I’m finally all caught up. Whew. Fourth of July celebrating and an early drive to the airport tomorrow (Leah is going to Washington to visit Aunt Tina for a couple weeks). That should top off the excitement then I am going to lay low for the rest of the pregnancy. Really.

Comments