Skip to main content

De Vlaamsche Pot or (as I call it) The Flaming Pot of Shame

After the kinderen were put to bed, Jon and I decided to go out for some tea/beer (him tea/me beer) and possibly some dessert. I had walked past a picturesque little alley restaurant called de Vlaamsche Pot (the Flemish Pot) several times and wanted to go. So we went.

After receiving our menus the waiter approached to take our order, we ordered some drinks and asked if we could see the dessert menu. The waiter rapidly shook his head and said, "but no, we cannot do thees, you must order entrees in order to eat here." I said we'd already had dinner but perhaps we might peruse the menu. As he walked away there was much more head shaking; about halfway across the room he actually stopped, turned to look at me, and shook his head again.

He returned after we closed our menus. We asked to split the rabbit stew. More rapid head shaking (perhaps he will need chiropractic work in the morning) and, "no, no, no, we cannot spleet entrees." I, of course, must prolong the embarassing moment by pointing out that the bottom of the menu states 4 euros for extra cutlery. More head shaking, naturellement, and he says, "but thees is for the children." Did I mention there was a sticker on the window that had a baby buggy with a circle and a line through it?


Ok, we tell him we need more time. Our drinks are being held on suspicion of inadequate ordering as we continue to look at the menu. We decide on the goat cheese and honey salad and the rabbit stew. "Oui, tres bien," the menus are snatched from our hands and drinks materialize instantly on the table. We have apparently reached an acceptable level of purchases (and shame).

Having gone out for just dessert, or drinks and appetizers, at several restaurants around the US, including San Francisco which is definitely a hub of world cuisine, I am learning that this is probably not done as frequently "on the continent." Maybe at cafes and pubs, but don't try it at a proper restaurant. I have also learned that it is true what they say about wait staff here, they have to be snooty. If they are friendly it means the the restaurant is trying to cover up some deficiency elsewhere.

After our plates were removed, the waiters did not enter the dining room again. 15 minutes later I made an "ahem" noise but no one appeared. I went to the WC and came back, but no one appeared. Finally I went into the kitchen and said, "hello?" and walked back to my seat. A waiter then appeared and we asked for the check. It was at this point I decided that being friendly to the wait staff meant that I was trying to cover up a deficiency elsewhere. When he returned I dropped my card on the top of the bill (without a glance) and continued my conversation with Jon. It felt at once extremely rude and extremely satisfying. The waiter did not shake his head so I guess I did something right.

p.s. The food was great and I would recommend De Vlaamsche Pot. Just keep the children at home and your nose in the air - you'll be fine ;)

Comments

Mimi said…
Yo Ho and Yeah Pooks