Skip to main content

Leaning Tree Criterium


Thanks to Chris and Barb for a great DBC Event. It was nice to have my first race back on such a good course and put on by friends. Way to go DFT team, if it weren't for the late crash, we all would've been in there for the sprint. Here's the Pook's-Eye view of the race:
  • 9:00 Started drinking my sponsored Rumba Energy Juice
  • 9:15 Need to race, NOW, because the Rumba waits for no one
  • 9:20 Go!
  • 9:21 Finally clipped in (I'm exaggerating slightly - but still)
  • Lap 1 Title Nine Team attacks twice and I cover both moves
  • Lap 2 Title Nine Team attacks two more times and I am towing the field around
  • Lap 3 Now I know I was being an idiot blowing myself up like that and I try to sit in. The damage is done. My teammates Cory, Joy, and Davian are all looking good and I'm hanging in by a shoestring. At one point Cory came around me and told me to get on her wheel, thanks Cory! Geez it is nice having a team.
  • Mid Race Speaking of teams, TITLE NINE, holy cow. They were really racing... it was great. The women's 4 field has gotten more tactical since my last 4's race in 2003. They slowed on the backside every lap while one of their girls attacked. Once I got wise to this I was able to move up in this section while conserving a lot of energy.
  • 2 Laps to go I see one Title Nine girl give another a thumbs up, I am suspicious that one will be leading out the other for the sprint and I make a note to get on those wheels the final time up the climb.
  • 1.5 Laps to go Rubber side no longer down. I was toward the front, on the inside, when the girl in front of me went down. Crashed into her and went down as did several others, including at least 2 of my teammates. My chain was off, handlebars tweaked, and my rear wheel was rubbing the chain stay (which I will blame for my very slow solo finish). I hit several parts of my body which distributed the impact nicely. Lightly skinned knee and arm and an extremely sore tail bone.
  • Apres-Crash I jump up, assess the damage, put the chain back on and hop on the saddle (tail bone pain hadn't started yet). Feels like I am riding through glue- didn't realize the rear wheel was rubbing the frame until Jon vetted my bike after the race.
  • Finish I finished. And that was the goal for this maiden foray back into bike racing so, yea!

Stoked that Defined Fitness Training, run by Megan Hottman, has got me back in the pack. I wouldn't be here if it weren't for her, so thank you Megan! And it is great to have so many teammates (there are 10 of us on the squad). Soon we'll be beating Title Nine at their own game. For now, baby steps.

Comments

Mimi said…
Whoa! That was some race. Hope the bike is fixable and that you are not too sore.
robbin said…
More exciting than le Tour.
Love you,
Mom