Skip to main content

Pooks' Cheap (um, inexpensive) Wine Award - 2008

Winner:


Last week, while perusing the "other" wine section at our local liquor store, Pettyjohn's, I came across a Hungarian wine called Bull's Blood. Seeing as Jon is one quarter Hungarian I thought, why not? Admittedly, I was put off by the price (7.99 - not on sale). Can you really get decent wine for less than 10 bucks? Apparently yes, at least in my opinion. It is nothing fancy but it is light and clean and if you let it breathe it tastes pretty good. Its name implies a richness that it doesn't have- it is actually kind of watery but in a good, drinkable way. I bought a case for the cellar (aka bar in the basement). The link above has the interesting history of this wine, which first was made in the 1500's.


Runner Up:


While I was at it, I also bought a case of the Cycles Gladiator Syrah. A 2007 "Top 100 Wine", this one will cost you 8.99. While I've gotten headaches from their Cab, the Syrah is pretty nice.

Comments

BigChunkySoul said…
Gladiator Syrah is my sister's favorite wine. She buys cases at a time and stores them in her old icehouse (really, her house was built in 1790). We plowed through quite a bit last Christmas...I think I permanently stained my teeth!!''

Hope all is well with you! Are you going to be around for Thanksgiving week?
Pooks said…
It does stain! It leaves that unsightly mark on the edges of my upper lip. Jon likes the Syrah better than the Bull's Blood. I agree that the Syrah is better wine but the Bull's Blood won because it was the cheapest drinkable wine.

We'll be in Texas (north of Dallas) for the week of Thanksgiving but home on the surrounding weekends.