Skip to main content

Sint-Michielsgestel, Netherlands Race


Races in the Netherlands don't quite have the pump of a Belgian 'cross race. Not sure why... maybe less spectators, less gin, more healthy food choices? I ended up in the beer tent and ordered a tall pils. About 2 seconds after stopping at a table, an older man from a large group of "Supporters Bart Wellens" approached and said something in Flemish. I said that I only speak English and he said, "Oh, so you are drinking alone then?" I looked around and said I guess so. Then he just walked away. I guess he was also a member of Supporters of Pointing Out the Obvious. I really missed my father-in-law today- we always had so much fun culturally blundering through beer tents and having one sided conversations with drunken 'cross fans that only spoke Flemish.

Mainly, though, today is was not so great because Jon had a crash during warm-up, bending his handlebars and inuring his hand. I think the hand will be okay -mainly bruised- but he wasn't able to start :( He expects to be okay for the Surhuisterveen race on the 14th. Also in the Netherlands... The upshot here is we will take the kids to Amsterdam the next day and Leah can see the Anne Frank museum.

Comments