Skip to main content

Playoffs? You talkin' about playoffs? Yes. And Pooks' Pulled Pork. And Seattle Seachicken Wings.

Not just playoffs. Division championships. Gameday preparations are underway across SF, Seattle, Denver, New England and even lil ole Chico (though there has yet to be an Aaron Rodgers sighting up here). Tonight I am getting ready for having friends over on Sunday so I am making my old standby- Pooks' Pulled Pork.

It's easy:

1) Put a pork roast (shoulder aka 'butt' roast is best) in a crockpot over a bed of sliced onion. Turn on low and wait 8-10 hours (overnight works). If the roast doesn't all fit cut it into pieces and make it fit. Extra credit for browning the meat first.

2) Take the cooked roast out and pull the meat away from the bone and fat, shredding it with your fingers. Cover meat in your favorite BBQ sauce. Do whatever you want with the liquid and onions- they're not needed.

3) Reheat and serve on hamburger buns with cole slaw as a side. Hint on the slaw: a bag of pre-chopped cabbage is your friend. Dressing is just mayo with some vinegar, sugar and celery seed.

Here is my roast, browned and ready to have an overnight spa treatment in the crock pot. I find naming the roast makes it taste better. This one is Henry, Hank for short.

Don't like pork? I'm also making chicken wings (aka Seattle Seachicken Wings). I buy the frozen chicken wing portions when I'd rather be disc golfing than cutting up chicken wings. If I'm feeling special I'll buy fresh wings and cut each wing into three pieces by hand. Just cut the two joints on the wing; keep the drummettes and middles for guests and the wing tips for making the best chicken stock ever.

Wings are easy once you've got them cut up:

1) Line a baking sheet with parchment and lay out the wing portions in an even layer. Bake at 400 for 40 minutes or so. (Or BBQ them if you want)

2) While the little chickies cook, make the sauce. Adjust quantities to suit the number of wings you're making. The recipe is 2 parts hot sauce (Frank's Hot Sauce is what I use) 1 part butter. Yes butter- my favorite. Just had a cholesterol test this week and my good cholesterol is high and my bad cholesterol is normal. Go ahead and eat butter people.

3) Toss the crispy wings in your sauce and serve with celery and blue cheese and/or ranch dressing. Oh, and napkins. Lots and lots of napkins.



GO NINERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments