Skip to main content

Greek Breakfast and the Cats of Corfu


Grecian cat enjoying a cushion.

When I travel I always love to take pictures of the cats.  Yeah, I know, it is probably not good news that kitties are running amok all over the world... but they are just so cute.  When Jon and I were married in Puerto Vallarta I remember visiting a restaurant on what I will forever call Cat Island (its real name is Isla Cuale).  Jon offered a piece of fish to this very charming kitty and, by the time the waiter returned, we were surrounded by about 15 cats.  The waiter gave us an exasperated look.  

On the good news front, last year we returned to Cat Island and found a vet clinic had been established.  On that very day they were spaying/neutering kitties en masse.  While the tables of groggy post-surgical cats in the open air was very strange, the progress for the kitties of the Rio Cuale was heartening.  But, I am off-subject. I did not come here to write about Cat Island. I came here to write about a much larger island, an island that I have never been to.

Leah, along with her friends Pepper and Michael, have set off on an 86 day tour of Europe and are currently on Corfu Island in Greece.  I, playing the eager mom and armchair traveler, have been hungry for pictures and stories.  Leah has indulged me by describing some of the food and drink as well as sending, you guessed it, cat pictures.

On the dining front, we covered breakfast.  Leah let me know that Corfu breakfast places seem to open around 10 am and include, "just regular breakfast stuff."  She did also say that, "yesterday we had these little round pastries stuffed with sweet or savory stuff."  Yum.  This morning she had a gyro for breakfast.  It is astounding the tiny details that will fascinate a mother.

Leah also posted a pic of the Kumquat Liqueur, which she reports is a specialty on Corfu. The picture (see bottom of this post) makes me think we have started a new generation of booze pics on the balcony, a tradition began by my father, Frank Borden.

I would like to write a bunch more about Corfu but I will need to squeeze more info out of the youngsters first.  Follow their blog at https://espritdaventuregirls.blogspot.com.


Cool tiles are a Corfu kitty's friend. Also, this kitty would be a good subject for this artist.

These kitties like to lounge on the table legs.

Alley cats loafing about as another joins the fray.

The specialty booze of Corfu.  Kumquat martinis anyone?  I keep asking if Leah has tried Ouzo yet but have not received a response.  Yamas!

Comments