Skip to main content

The Bainbridge Island Ferry Crash of 2016

Axel and I took a trip to Bainbridge Island. We drove the giant truck over to Kent station near our RV park in order to board the Sounder Train to Seattle. 

The first trick was to parallel park said giant truck in a very small spot. Axel got out to help me not run into anything. Did I mention a train was currently blocking the tracks so I had an audience of backed-up cars to observe my attempt? Somehow I managed to shoehorn the truck in to the spot with straight alignment, close to the curb, and perfectly within the lines. As I exited the truck I recieved several nods of approval from the idling cars. One man rolled down his window and congratulated me, saying he is a limo driver and my parking was amazing. "That truck is a beast," he said, "great job."

:) 

After that we walked over to the platform and bought our tickets. Soon the train arrived.


Axel in front of our ride to Seattle.

 
From the train station we walked to the ferry terminal and boarded the next boat to Bainbridge. Axel set off a water bottle flipping trend on board.  If you do not know what that is, Google it or ask Axel about it.

We explored our ferry (it was the Wenatchee if you are curious). Eventually we found a table upon which someone had left a large unfinished puzzle. We happily puzzled it all the way to Bainbridge Island. 

As we were about to dock we heard a frantic noise over the loudspeaker shouting, "Brace for impact." I had just enough time to to look across to Axel, confused, and then the whole boat shook and there was a loud crashing noise. 

Apparently some malfunction in the reverse propellers caused us to come into the dock too fast. Axel and I were fine having been comfortably seated at a table. Ferry officials kept everyone on the boat for five minutes as they inquired if anyone was injured (no one was though many passengers started joking about whiplash).

A man in front of us on the gangplank said, "I've been riding this ferry for 20 years and I have never seen anything like that happen." Lucky us. Axel and I enjoyed joking about our "ferry crash" for the rest of the day.

From the ferry terminal we were able to walk into downtown Bainbridge and visit many museums. First the history museum, then the art museum, and finally the Kid's Discovery Museum (aka KiDiMu). The KiDiMu was a good one for ten year-olds (and forty year-olds). They had a giant lite brite, a bunch of physics experiments, and all the usual fun kid stuff.

 
Axel and I being kids at the kids museum.

Axel re-enacting the ferry "crash".
  
The giant lite brite.

On the ferry ride back we did not crash into anything at all.

Comments