Skip to main content

Gila, hell yeah.

Posted by Mr. Pooks

The Break:


I'm down in Silver City, New Mexico, for the 6th consecutive year, racing in the Tour of the Gila. This is a notoriously mountainous race on the National Racing Calendar; so the field is top-notch.

I had targeted the 2nd stage to try something. That "something" wound up being 60 miles spent in a 3-man breakaway. After riding conservatively on the first day; I knew I would have fresh legs for a strong attack today. As it turned out, our break was unfortunately not given a very long leash by the team of the race leader, Tecos. In this type of situation, a group of breakaway riders is sometimes allowed to gain a big lead before being reeled back in by teams wishing to contest the finish. In our case, we had to fight for every second, and in the end, we were caught with about 5 miles left to race.

The Chase:


The next couple of stages, an individual time trial, and a criterium, will be "rest" days for me, since I'm not going after the General Classification, and will be working for our sprinter in the crit.

Expect some major fireworks again from me in the last stage; sunday's "gila monster", 105 miles with 12000 feet of climbing. Good Times!

Comments