Skip to main content

Scary Sunrise Crash

My friend Shelley and I went for a sunrise bike ride this morning and, while descending South Boulder Road, I hit a fist-sized rock with my front tire and was launched into traffic. I landed in the middle of 2 lanes of west bound traffic and was very lucky I was not run over by a morning commuter.

There was a veritable asteroid belt of these rocks in the bike lane (no wonder they call it South Boulder Road) and as Shelley and I waited for the calvary to arrive we cleared out all the rocks. At this point the only thing stopping me from riding home was modesty as my shorts were comically blown out. About 45% of my bottom was showing and the holes looked like two large milky white eyes. See photo below.

Went to urgent care for the Lidocaine injection and scrubbing of what I like to call my "glass elbow". Let's just say this is not the first or even the second time this elbow has required this oh-so special treatment. Perhaps this round removed some of the unsightly scarring from rounds 1 and 2.

I'm a bit banged up and am bummed (pun intended) to be missing more racing as tonight is the beginning of the local August crit series.




Comments

Mimi said…
Yipe, so glad you escaped with only the poor elbow and ripped bum.