Skip to main content

Bolder Zolder

Jon travled to the World Cup in Zolder, Belgium today with the single bike he'd borrowed from Rubens Sport bike shop. Christmas has delayed the new bike from his sponsor a day so this bike is all he has right now. He is running file tread in the front and a mud clincher in the rear and if he flats or has a mechanical he will be out of the race.

I stayed home from the World Cup today to wait for the bikes (which the airline said they found and would deliver). When the "bikes" arrived at 1pm I went to the driveway to find two small suitcases, clearly barcoded and tagged with the passenger name "Kevin Biron". I pointed this out to the people, who had driven 100k from the Brussels airport to bring these bags. Are they serious? Apparently they still think they have Jon's bikes so hopfully later today they'll come back with the right stuff. Kevin Biron, if you're reading this, the airport has your bags.

Watched the race on TV. Jon started - I saw him - and that was the last I saw of him. Ryan Trebon was the only American mentioned during the race (Amerikaanse kampioen) and I believe he got around 30th place and came in front of a close group of about 9 or 10 guys.

Thys Al took the win, battling it out with Kevin Pawels and Sven VanThourenhout practically the whole race. An early crash set back Nys, Boom, Wellens and others. Boom attacked the second group with a half lap to go and took fourth, Stybar pipped Nys at the line for fifth, and Wellens and Simonek were 7th and 8th.

Thys Al - Netherlands Mountain Bike Champion and winner of today's race.

The course had a "Run-Up" that I would call more of a "Crawl Up". It was here on the last lap Pawels dropped to his hands and knees, perhaps praying for it to be over. There was also a very wide turn that you could shortcut to the inside. It looked to me like the shortcut was slower but lots of guys seemed to be taking it.

I have no idea if Jon finished so I'll have to post an update later; hopefully by then I'll be announcing the successful delivery of the bikes.

Comments