Skip to main content

Day 1



It was really easy to wake up at 5am and get to work. The sun rose as I was in my second meeting for the day. I treated myself with 100% Kona coffee, so that probably helped. Back home Jon has been buying his coffee from You Bet Bicycles (of all places) and it is incredibly good. If you are in Nevada City, trust me, head on down to You Bet Bikes and buy some coffee. Anyway, I am presently spoiled in the coffee department.


Speaking of spoiled, for lunch I had the Hawaiian staple, poke. Foodland, the supermarket down the street, sells five different kinds and people line up for it. I said, “wow this is a lot of poke,” and the guy dishing it out was like, “meh, this is pretty average to be honest.” Note to self: explore poke places. Also note to self: don’t buy a pound of poke when you are the only one eating. You will be eating a lot of poke.


The great thing about getting to work at 5am is leaving work in the early afternoon. Playtime! Today I took in a measured dose of sun poolside, ten minutes per side, like a thick ribeye. Being hyper-cautious about burns in the first few days here is mandatory.


By 4pm the sun was more mild and I went down to Po’olenalena beach for boogie boarding. Here the surfers call boogie boarders spongers. So I sponged around on waves even taller than yesterday. I also firmed up plans for surf lessons- my first being this Saturday in Kihei Cove. 


When we were at Po’olenalena last month Axel taught me to go underwater and listen. Last month it was all whale song underwater which was majestic and haunting. This time: dolphins! I could not see them but I could hear them quite clearly. If you are in Maui I highly recommend going underwater and listening.




Lunch was really, really good.


Like a bike rack, but for boards.


The day’s harvest of swimwear.


I bought a star apple at the market. I had never heard of it before, much less tasted one. See the wedge on the right? Don’t eat that much of the flesh, it will turn your mouth inside out. After that happened I googled it, turns out you only eat the middle.


Me, skeptical after eating the wrong part.


Me, going in for seconds after realizing it wasn’t bad. Kind of like a mild, gelatinous pudding.


There were lots of chickens at the beach. Roosters can be very protective in the spring so I was careful not to threaten any broods. Not sure what this chicken was up to, but it seemed to like the soft top.


This guy warned me as I parked the car.


Hibiscus flower just looking plump. I took this photo on the way down to watch the sunset. No green flash tonight, too many low clouds.

Comments

robbin said…
So up by 4:30ish every day to be ready for the 4 hour job start time difference. That’s not bad. Then you have all that afternoon freedom time! Surfs up for sure. ����‍♀️��
Unknown said…
I am hoping I can comment now.
Pooks said…
I presume "unknown" is Mimi? Maybe Jon can help you go from "unknown" :)