Skip to main content

Day 4 - Lava Goats

The skies were overcast and the weather was perfect for a bike ride, so I rented a bike for the day. Jon suggested I cruise down to the lava flow. Back in the late 1700's (or 1400's depending on who you believe) the side of Haleakala erupted. In 2021 the evidence is still quite visible on the surface and you can see the band of black lava rock running all the way out into a point in the ocean.

In the distance you can see the tip of the lava flow. 

After I reached the lava flow I saw a flash of movement- lo and behold, wild lava goats. 

Tonight I called Jon and told him all about the bike ride and the goats. He said that loose goats can cause trouble on the island and sometimes wildlife authorities have to get rid of them. He hypothesized that fast-track evolution was afoot (ahoof?) and that maybe these goats survived eradication efforts because they blend in so well with the lava. They were certainly very well camouflaged.

Early this morning, before the bike ride, I had a spectacular crash on the boogie board. I got greedy and took a wave that was far too large, got all tumbled up in it. The seas were angry, to quote George Constanza. Hopefully the seas will be less angry Tuesday for my next installment of surf lessons. 

Comments

robbin said…
Had no idea about the goats. I thought you were just “kidding” us until I saw the photo. What great camouflage.