Skip to main content

Day 3 - Surf’s Up



Today I went from non-surfer with no local friends to surfer with lots of local friends.

It all started at 7:15am when I walked down to the Maui Beach Boys surf instructors at Kihei Cove. The cove is an incubator, turning people into surfers by the dozen. Gently rolling surf giving newbies and veterans alike long rides into shore. My instructor, Shane (orange hat in the background of the first three photos) had me up and carving around in no time flat. It was so much fun. I seriously rode waves for so long I was able to chat with other people riding the same wave. Then when I got too close to the rocky shore I sat back down on the board and turned around and went out for more. 

Maui Beach Boys is owned by a John "JB" Browne, a very friendly guy who I spoke to on the phone setting up the lesson. During the lesson Shane mentioned what a great musician JB is, so afterward I went up to JB and asked where I might hear him play. It turned out he and the rest of the Maui Beach Boys - which are also a band, of course - were getting together at a sweet condo/beach spot in Maalaea. JB asked me if I would like to join them. Um, yes! 

So this afternoon I drove up to Maalaea and listened to the jam session. I got to meet Kat, hostess with the mostest in addition to being a fantastic singer and guitar player. Also Gary who, in non-COVID times sings and plays guitar professionally. JB, of course, master of the harmonica and guitar. And Dave, chef musician who makes a wonderful tomato cucumber salad. I even enjoyed eating the tomatoes, which, if you know me, is saying something. Below there is a video of the scene at the jam session.

I drove home in the sunset, with the full moon rising, and a smile on my face so big my cheeks were cramping. I called Jon back home in Nevada City and effused about the whole thing for probably a half an hour.

Knees first.

Then jump up.

Eyes to the sky. No looking for lobsters is what the instructors said.

There was a photographer on shore who sold me all these pictures for $20.
 

The scene at the jam session.

As I left Maalaea I found this cat had been guarding my car for me.

The full moon over Haleakala.

Comments

robbin said…
Lookin’ good Cyndi! Love the pics! What an adventure. ��