Skip to main content

Day 15 - Biking and Disc Golf

  Today, instead of working, we did “team building.” Pre-pandemic, I would visit Colorado every quarter and we would do some team activity. We’ve shot shotguns, thrown axes, raced cars, and played disc golf to name a few. About nine months into the pandemic, our team realized that just because we were separate did not mean we shouldn’t still have a day off. And so we came up with a plan. We all take a day to do something we love and then Zoom about it the next day over lunch.

I decided, since the surf was down in Kihei, to rent a road bicycle. Jon pointed me to a beautiful place to ride along the shoulder of Haleakala. Basically the same as the Lava Goats ride, only higher up. 

Justin at Boss Frogs rented a nice bike to me.

Bike wedged in the trunk, alongside boogie board, beach chair, and several large handfuls of accumulated sand.

Flower selfie during the ride. I am unaware that at some point, the windbreaker I'd stuffed down the back of my jersey had fallen out. Oh well. Wasn't the best color for me anyway.

The open road. No shoulder, but smooth and not very many cars. Perfect.

The lava fields, but higher up this time. No goats were spotted, but with their camouflage one might be in this photo and I wouldn't even know it.

Most signs seem to be hosting a plant. Love.

A 90 minute bike ride seemed insufficient for a whole team building day, so after the biking I went to go play disc golf.

Practice basket. Many of the baskets were homemade but also, well, perfect. I had to wear my cycling jersey over my tank top as it got chilly up in elevation. Of course my windbreaker was gone.

This is Bob, I was very lucky to find him arriving at Hole One as I had never played the course before. If you want to know where this course is or what it is called, that is something you find out in person- not on the interwebs. Bob showed me around to 27 holes. What a guy. He also built this basket.

Bob showed me that when people forget their pot pipe, they can use passion fruit flowers as a one hitter. 


One of three Buddhas on course, though one could find zen anywhere here. 

Bob was kind enough to take my picture. For a closer look at the view from the bench in the background, see the next photo.

Two sides of Maui in one view. Photo does not do it justice. Magic.

Can you spot the basket?

Some baskets were made with washtubs and made the most amazing sound when putting out. Would love to hear an ace on one of these. Maybe Sunday at doubles? Oh yeah, I will be back.

Jackson's Chameleon hanging out in the tree. There were lots of them.

This basket was rocking the barber pole style.


Grinning so hard my cheeks hurt. What a course. Grinning so hard the face id on my phone did not work. Life goals. What an amazing day, thanks team for making it happen!

Comments