Skip to main content

Day 23 - Crescent Moon

 Today I finally lined up at the bakery in hopes of getting their famous pineapple croissant. No such luck, but I did find a solid quantity of carbs and butter.
The line. It’s worth it. A German couple runs the place and they have both European and Hawaiian style bakers making the breads.

I grabbed the second to last mochi cake because clearly it must be good. These are the shelves 90 minutes after they opened.

Later I took a yoga class and it was crazy hard. Lots of Warrior 3 and Revolved Crescent Moon and the splits. When we got to the splits I was impressed to see the teacher’s perfect splits. Then I looked around the room and was even more impressed to see that I was one of the few people not doing perfect splits. These people were fit!  Highly recommend Tracey’s vinyasa class at Maui Yoga Loft if you are looking for an intense hour of unifying the mind and body via advanced contortions. My splits looked like a runner’s lunge.

Class got out at 6pm, just in time for me to paddle out in The Cove and surf with the sunset. Rode a few waves and hung out for many moments with a Hawaiian Green Sea Turtle that probably weighed as much as me. I said, “hey wassup?” and she stuck her head up out of the water. She might pre-date Hawaiian statehood. Simply majestic.

I have come to find out that part of surfing culture is changing clothes by one’s car with lots of people around. I have a system that involves a bikini top under my long sleeve swimsuit and a dress. It is a modest system that reveals nothing but was still enough to startle a tourist couple walking down the sidewalk. They crossed the busy street with no crosswalk probably because of me.

Tonight I got to talk to Jon for a long time. I miss the family. I noticed the moon is a waxing crescent tonight. Maybe that was what the yoga poses were all about? Or why I craved croissant? By the time I am on Oahu with nephew Robert, the moon will be full once again, like on my first Saturday here. Then, it will be time to finally return to the family.


Comments

robbin said…
That bakery sounds worth the wait and the weight one might gain buying their product. But you are doing so much exercise you can probably eat anything you want. You might be missing the ease of grabbing your board to go surfing when you finally return home. What a life to have surfing so close. I see more trips to the California coast in your future. You’ll just have to time it for when the surf’s up! ;)