Skip to main content

Day 9 - Paddle Out

  

  One of the many wonderful things about Maui: driving slow and letting people in. You get in your car and think, "I'll never be able to make that left turn," but then, as reliably as can be, someone is waving you in with a smile (and maybe even a shaka). Next thing you know, you are leaving lots of room to the car in front and you are actively scanning for opportunities to let others in. It feels so good to acknowledge, in this small and tangible way, that that we are all in this together.

If you know me, which you likely do if you are reading my blog (hi Mom), you know that I am a bit of a go-getter. I have lots of ideas and want to bring them to fruition quickly and efficiently. Here, little things are constantly helping me to chill out, relax, let the waves roll in and out, and roll in and out with them. I am reminded to harmonize with the way things are.

The other day someone said they were going to "paddle out" not that they were "going surfing". That phrasing is just so true; you can paddle out all you want but the ocean controls whether or not surfing will be possible. Tomorrow, at sunrise, I am going to paddle out. We'll see what happens. I hope it will be surfing and turtles and glassy water but I am pretty sure that whatever happens will be good. Even if it is just letting someone make a left turn.

Comments

robbin said…
Sounds like the beginning to a book called “Paddle Out.” Evocative stuff right there, C. I so love your writing. Wish dad and I had the opportunity to come visit just so we could watch you paddle out. Happy Easter, little gal. XO