Skip to main content

Day 24 - Best Laid Plans

 This morning started out with a plan: rent a bike and ride on a neat little road from Wailuku out to Julia’s Banana Bread in Kahakuloa. By the time I got to my starting point it was raining. Cyclists were literally pouring in, looking very wet. And I was to set out into this? I think not.

Since I was in Wailuku I decided to browse this seven level antique shop, Antique Freak. There I ended up purchasing a small vintage painting of the desert by Annette Brovan, a US Navy - Hawaii pillowcase from the late 1940’s, and a racy Goya print - La Maja desnuda. My kind of souvenirs.

 Sometimes you start off bike ride and end up shopping for art instead.

After that, guess what I did? I’ll give you one guess. Yeah. Surfing! Ukumehame has become my happy place. It was raining there too but the turtles and I didn’t mind the rain a bit.

On the way home I found a place selling Birds of Paradise flowers. I bought three just to look at in the condo. I don’t presently have any tattoos but I am considering getting a small Birds of Paradise tattoo on the top of my right foot. When I get home of course- cannot have a wounded foot here, nor would I trust anyone besides artist Jayc Poage back in Nor Cal. Birds of Paradise are a fascinating flower and were the flowers at our wedding 16 years ago.

Tomorrow I am “planning” to wake up at dawn and ride the rented bike from the ocean to 2000 ft above sea level, trespassing on Oprah Winfrey’s private road to do so. We’ll see how far I get before being chased off. I have to have the bike returned by 9am in order to not get charged for another day.

A photo of the Antique Freak from the interwebs. Today it was like this, only very wet.

A specimen from my collection of Birds of Paradise.

The small painting of the desert by Annette Brovan - 1967

A late 1940’s souvenir pillowcase.

Comments

chessracer said…
Good luck on the ascent! You’re faster than Oprah, I wouldn’t worry about her catching you.
robbin said…
You’re seeing so much of Maui than we did when dad, me, you and Scott went. Not doing the road to Hana again? Once was enough for me, too. Hope you had a great time on the bike ride today. XO